First Court Toilets Accessibility
Location and Access Path
Where are these facilities located in College?
- The First Court Toilets is located within First Court.
- To access the First Court public toilets you will need to follow the path from Magdalene Street Main Entrance/Porters’ Lodge Gate. Gate measures 82cm wide when only one gate is in use, the full opening of the gate is 226cm.
- Access may be restricted due to closure of the College- please ring the bell of the Porters’ Lodge if you require access when the gate is closed. There is a bell linked to the Porters’ Lodge approx. 1.71m high or a salto card reader measuring 1.71m high. Entrance gate at Porters’ Lodge/Magdalene Street is very heavy if closed, this pushes inwards.
- There is a step down into First Court adjacent to the Porters’ Lodge measuring 15cm, or the step can be covered by a ramp measuring 1m wide & 1.05m long.
The women’s toilets are located on the ground floor of First Court A & the accessible toilet & men’s toilets are located on the ground floor of First Court C.
Women’s Toilets (First Court A)
Following the path which is paved with slabs – this route will take you under the archway into First Court & turning right, past the Porters’ Lodge, towards First Court A & the Parlour. The entrance to the women’s toilets is located in First Court A, behind the staircase up to the upper floors of First Court A & next to the JCR entrance.
Accessible Toilet (First Court C)
Following the path which is paved with slabs – this route will take you under the archway into First Court & turning left, the entrance to the accessible toilet is located in First Court C directly ahead. The toilet is located on the left hand side of the staircase as you enter.
Men’s Toilets (First Court C)
Following the path which is paved with slabs – this route will take you under the archway into First Court & turning left, the entrance to the men’s toilets are located in First Court C directly ahead. The toilets are located on the right hand side of the staircase as you enter.
What is the path or pavement condition?
Path is paved, some paving slabs are cracked & loose making them uneven. Cobbles border the path, some of these are loose.
Is the path flat or sloped? Is there a ramp?
Path is mostly flat with a slight slope/camber.
What does this path give access to?
Path gives access to facilities in First Court & through to Second Court - mainly consisting of Fellows & Student accommodation.
Are there any stairs to the main entrance, or is it level access?
No, toilets entrances are all level access on ground floor.
Is the access path well-lit?
External access path is not well lit; lighting level is low within entrance.
Is there any directional or locational signage for this facility?
No, only picture & written signage is on the front door to notify type of facility inside.
Outside Access to Main Entrance
If access is via an indoor corridor, what is the width of the corridor?
- First Court A corridor is 1.16m at widest point.
- First Court C corridor is 1.16cm at entrance, the widest point of corridor measures at 2.21m.
Is it sufficiently wide enough to allow wheelchair users to pass (150cm+)?
- First Court A & C corridor widths are not wide enough.
- First Court C corridor opens up & measures at 2.21m wide once through the initial entrance opening for First Court C; First Court A remains up to 1.16m at its widest point.
Are there any tight turns?
There are two turns through open doorways to access the Men’s toilet, the first measures at 84cm & the second measures at 78cm. There are no turns to the Women’s toilet in First Court A.
Are there any doors in the corridor?
No, First Court A & C staircase entrances are open doorways.
What does the toilet entrance consist of?
- Manual doors to access the Women’s & Men’s toilets.
- Accessible toilet opens automatically once door handle is pushed down.
What is the clear width of the entrance door opening?
- First Court A Women’s toilet door measures at 74cm wide.
- First Court C Access toilet door measures at 89cm wide.
- First Court C Men’s toilet door measures at 74cm wide.
Which way does the toilet entrance door open? Are the doors manual or automatic? If manual, is the door heavy?
- Women’s & Men’s toilet entrance doors both open inwards manually & are relatively light to push open.
- Access toilet door opens outward automatically when the handle is pushes down, the door handle measures at 95cm.
Are there any stairs to the main entrances, or is it level access?
Level access, toilets are on the ground floor.
Is a key card required for access?
If the entrance is outdoors, is there any weather protection?
Entrance is undercover.
Is this a single or shared (i.e.: stall) toilet?
- First Court A Women’s are shared facilities with 3 stalls & First Court C Men’s toilets are shared facilities with 2 stalls.
- First Court C Accessible toilet is a single stall/cubicle.
Is there pictorial signage on or near the toilet door?
Pictorial & written signage is on the outside of each facility.
Is there a sanitary disposal unit available in each stall?
- Women’s & Access toilets have sanitary disposable bins in each cubicle stalls, as well as a standard waste bin.
- Men’s toilets have a standard waste bin.
Are there baby-changing facilities available?
No, none available.
What are the dimensions of the standard stall, and what is the width of the stall door?
- Women’s stall door widths range from 53cm, 54cm & 55cm for each stall.
- The middle & right hand stalls approx. measure at 107.9cm² (1.42m deep by 76cm wide) and the left hand stall, which is the biggest measuring at 140.14cm² (1.43m deep by 98cm wide).
- Men’s stall door widths are 53cm & 54cm for each stall. The approx. area of one stall measures at 92.25cm² (1.25m deep by 75cm wide).
- Access toilet door width is 89cm. The area of the stall/cubicle is 3.5m².
How are stalls locked?
- Women’s & Men’s toilet cubicle doors close with a sliding lock.
- Access toilet door handle is the lock - the handle needs to be is pushed upwards to lock.
What is the height of the washbasin/counter?
- Women’s & men’s toilets sink/counter measures at 80cm high from the floor.
- In the Access toilet the sink/counter measures at 70cm high from the floor.
What is the height of the toilet?
- In all areas the toilet is approx. 40cm from the floor.
- In the Men’s toilets the urinals measure 61cm from the floor.
What is the height of the wall-mounted hand dryer?
In all areas the dryer is approx. 1m high from the floor.
What is the height of the flush buttons?
- In the Men’s and Women’s toilets the wall mounted push flush buttons are approx. 66cm from top of toilet lid.
- In the Access toilet there is an automatic sensor flush is on the wall behind toilet. This is approx. 104cm from the floor.