Skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing

Health and Wellbeing

All students are required to register with a doctor in Cambridge. There is no charge for their services and there are several surgeries close to the College.

Important general health advice for all students, as well as a list of local surgeries can be found on the College Intranet (Raven password required).

In an emergency please contact the porters (01223 332100), who will summon the appropriate assistance.

The University's advice on health and welfare for students is available on the Student Wellbeing website.

The College Nurse

The College has a part-time Nurse, Taryn Rothwell, who has a surgery in College on weekdays during term time.

Taryn is available to help with any concerns for both undergraduates and postgraduates, including help and advice with minor illnesses and injuries. If more specialised help or treatment is required, she will help refer you or point you in the right direction whether via your GP, the University Counselling Service or other local service.

Any information shared with the College Nurse is treated in strict medical confidence and will not be divulged to anyone without your consent. As with all health care environments, sharing information would only occur in exceptional circumstances.

The College Nurse can be contacted on (3)30205 or via email at Information including surgery times can be found on the College Intranet (Raven password required).

Student Wellbeing

The Head of Student Wellbeing (appointment pending), works with the Tutors, the College Nurse, the Dean of Chapel, the Head of Operations, the student welfare officers and the Academic Registrar to ensure that a full programme of wellbeing support is available for students in College, and to advise and arrange any appropriate medical referrals. A College Counsellor is also available for consultation in Full Term.

Many students find it useful to seek help for mental health or emotional issues and there are a number of ways of doing this. You might like to make an appointment to talk to your Tutor or to the College Nurse, or you might prefer to make contact directly with a counsellor.

University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service (UCS) is available for all students and staff of the University. Details about the range of services available and how to make an appointment can be found on the UCS website.

College Counsellor

In addition to the University Counselling Service, Magdalene provides a free and confidential counselling service for all students registered at the College.

Our counsellor has worked with the University Counselling Service and bound by the UKCP code of Practice.

Details about counselling support can be found on the College Intranet (Raven password required).